We love Eating Well’s quick, easy and healthy fall recipes. This take on spaghetti squash is a delicious meal!
Chicken Enchilada-Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
8-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 2 1/2- to 3-pound spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
Squash Organic Spaghetti / Vegetable Spaghetti
1 1/4 cups red enchilada sauce, divided
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 450degrees F.
- Place chicken in a medium saucepan, add water to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and gently simmer until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165degrees F, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board and shred with 2 forks. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, place squash cut-side down in a microwave-safe dish and add 2 tablespoons water. Microwave, uncovered, on High until the flesh is tender, about 10 minutes. (Alternatively, place squash halves cut-side down on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake in a 400 °F oven until the squash is tender, 40 to 50 minutes.)
- Use a fork to scrape the squash from the shells into the large bowl. Place the shells on a broiler-safe pan. Stir 1 cup enchilada sauce, zucchini, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt into the squash and chicken. Divide the mixture between the shells; top with the remaining 1/4 cup enchilada sauce and cheese.
- Bake on the lower rack for 10 minutes. Move to the upper rack, turn the broiler to high and broil, watching carefully, until the cheese starts to brown, about 2 minutes. To serve, cut each shell in half.